Wednesday, August 23, 2006

I love the internet part 802

live streaming radio! woo hoo!

John Mayer is premiering his album live today on the radio (STAR 98.7FM out of LA) and they stream their broadcasts live online. It just started and I am such a happy camper. He is not only playing the whole album, but he is DJing it too! The first song, Waiting on the World to Change, just ended and he started talking. I just screamed out loud! I am gonna blog this. I am so freaking excited!!!!!! This is so cool! I have only heard these songs in their early, live versions. This is the first time that they are being heard by the public (other than Waiting on the World to Change - the 1st single and the 1st track).

complete track listing: here

I Don't Trust Myself With Loving You - track 2
Groovin. A sorta medium speed song with a strong drum and bass groove. Its got a little bit of horns near the end. Sorta like a mild version of the horns in Clarity. He said it was on his "soul" path.

Belief - track 3
I HAVE NEVER HEARD THIS SONG BEFORE!!!!!
Ben Harper plays on the track. Cool. Not sure how I feel about this song. Its really filled out. It does not sound like him at all. It will grow on me, I'm sure. Still on the fence about it.

"I'm Johnny. This is Continuum. Stay put."
Not moving baby. Not moving.

Gravity - track 4
This song was on the Trio album, TRY. But this is a new version. Its much more emotional this way. It reminds me of the live, acostic version more than the version off, TRY.
...twice as much ain't twice as good. and can't sustain like one half could... just keep my where the light is...
Such a good song.

Heart of Life - track 5
"No matter what you're going thru, this one is for you."
I am crying. That made me cry. He's such a cool guy.
...so turn off your tears and listen...
..bad news never had good timing...
for the lyrics, go here.
This a stripped version. Him with a guitar. All heart.
"Its a great big Hallmark card for whatever you need it to be."

"I'm John Mayer, cuz I have to be."

Vultures - track 6
Another one that was on TRY. It's a cool song. But not my favorite.

Stop This Train - track 7
"Its the most emotionally confrontational..."
Its about getting older. About our parents getting older too. Something that all of us at this age can totally relate to. I am glad that I am not the only 28 year old who feels this way.
...so scared of gettin older. I'm only good at being young. so I play the numbers game to find a way to say that life has just begun...

Such a great song. James Valentine from Maroon 5 plays on the track.
He really explains it more on the bio on johnmayer.com:
"A lot of these songs are about coming to terms with getting older," he says. "My generation was never told we were going to get older. We thought we were going to hear our names on 'Romper Room' for the rest of our lives. For a long time, I was really upset about getting older, worried that things were just going to level out. But then I realized that everyone around me was all getting older at the same time. We're all fighting it together, and we're always going to be those kids, the first really emotionally aware generation. When I realized that, I could relax about it a little bit. And I thought that maybe I can be the guy to sing about it."

Slow Dancing in a Burning Room - track 8
Much slower than how he was playing it live. Very groovin and soulful, like I Don't Trust Myself.... He said that the words came out of the music. He said he had the groove and it just sounded like actually slow dancing in a burning room.
...you be a bitch because you can...

Bold As Love - track 9
A Jimi Hendrix cover. Cool. But I am not big on covers. He plays the shit out of it, though. It was recorded live. Played with the Trio. He said that they recorded it the day after they performed the same song on the Tsunami benefit show. I saw that show. I have a recording of that show. Neat. He said that it is for the fans who want to hear him play guitar more, because there is a 2 minute long guitar solo.

Dreaming With A Broken Heart - track 10
Starts with piano. After the first verse, a little drums then a quiet guitar. It creeps up. I guess songs tend to do that. Then a build up to a dramatic guitar solo. Kinda cheesy, I hate to admit. I like the acostic live version way better. This is too produced. It ends the same way it started. Piano and vocal.

In Repair- track 11
I think I spoiled myself with the live versions. I should have known they would be different. This song does not sound as emotional as it does acostic. The lyrics are still incredible. The song is still really good. But really different with a full band. Ooh, rockin little guitar solo. And the end has lots of neat guitar playing.

I'm Gonna Find Another You - track 12
"...the after record mint, if you will."
Very old school. He said that he produced it with a guy who worked with Al Green. And it really sounds Al Greenish. Nice horn section. This might have become my new favorite song off the album. This is really good.

"Be safe and happy and healthy. These are really heavy times, but maybe music can get us thru."

It's over. Boo Hiss. More. Play it more!

You too can hear it, but not until tomorrow. Check it out.

No comments: