Monday, May 19, 2008

idol itunes

Apparently, TBTB (the powers that be) are going to be taking the Idol songs off of itunes around the time of the finale. Before or after, I am not sure. But since that is only a couple of days away, I wanted to give a couple of recommendations. I have purchased all the Jason Castro performances, studio versions and videos, but I know that there are not many freaks like me out there. So, if you only wanted to purchase two songs from itunes, these are the ones I recommend buying:

Somewhere Over the Rainbow (studio version) by Jason Castro
Always Be My Baby (studio version) by David Cook

Yes, I did just recommend that you buy a David Cook song. No, I am not going crazy. Listen, I am as big a Jason Castro fan as you can find, but I am not dumb. I know good music. David Cook is a great singer. He deserves to win the show. His version of Always Be My Baby is amazing. I listen to it over and over. And Jason's cover of SOTR is beyond amazing. It is his personal favorite performance and it is the perfect example of what kind of a singer he is. (My other favorites are the studio versions of Fragile and Travelin Thru) So please, go purchase these two songs. Come on! It's $2.00. You can afford it.

5 comments:

BrightStar (B*) said...

I recommend Brooke White's version of Love is a Battlefield.

BrightStar (B*) said...

Okay, I just went to iTunes...

I bought...

Jason Castro: Over the Rainbow, Fragile, If I Fell, & Hallelujah

David Cook: Always be my Baby, Billie Jean, & Happy Together

Anonymous said...

I did get Jason's "Over the Rainbow" (studio) but I was pretty bummed that it's really just a total ripoff (OK...duplicate) of Iz's version. What's up with that? Did Jason do his own arrangement on the Idol show and Iz's in the studio, or did he do Iz's both times? Iz's version is so unique and original that I'm surprised anyone would even bother trying to do a cover version of that same exact arrangement, note for note. Anyway, I like Jason Castro's voice fine and his other songs that I've heard, but I have to say that his "Over the Rainbow" is more or less embarrasing. Foxy beautiful face on that boy, though! :-)

Laura Anne said...

sister - glad you bought those! try Travelin Thru too. It's my favorite studio version!

lynnie - I am sorry you feel that his cover was bad. I agree that he did not "make it his own," however, his performance still blew me away. Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery. I feel that had he changed Iz's version too much, it would have just been a lame attempt to change something that was perfect already. Jason put his heart into that song and you can feel his emotion. I think that is what drew me to it. He also learned the ukulele in one week before performing the song. But everyone is welcome to their opinion...
I agree that he is one fine boy!

Anonymous said...

I bought a ton of Idol songs on iTunes. Too many to name. But the one who I felt translated the best to recording - who just sounded awesome as a recording artist was Michael Johns. His iTunes songs blew me away. Of course, I love Jason, David Cook and Brooke as well! I bought ALL the recordings the four of them (including Michael) did this season. And I'm looking forward to all of their albums.