Saturday, November 10, 2007

what's the latest?

After weighing our options (the few that existed), we decided not to repair my car. When the shop told us it would cost over $1500 to repair it (a valve is going out... meaning a new engine soon) we knew that was the end of that car. We decided, since it barely runs, we would donate it to charity. They will tow it away and we will just write it off on our taxes. I started that process yesterday. The body shop is being kind enough to let us leave it there until the charity picks it up. I don't care if it gets broken into now. It means nothing to me anymore. We went to the shop this morning and got out the few items I still had in it and said goodbye. I am happy to be done with it. I don't think I will ever see that car again. Good riddance.

So, today we have a new vehicle. God only knows how we are gonna swing this, but we will manage somehow. We purchased today, a 99 Honda CRV. Here it is:
more photos here

I will say that I love it. It is great to drive and is in really great condition and has low mileage for the age of it. My father came to the dealership with us this morning and really helped make the sale. He had us work with the salesperson he had purchased his car thru and so he knew they were good. Buying a car is so damn stressful. Working to get the payment you can afford and convincing them that, "No I do not need nitrogen in my tires." (what the hell is that about?!?!) It took 3.5 hours to get it all done, but we are home with our new vehicle. Such a stressful experience!! Buying a car sucks just as much as cars in general do. Why is that?

I think it is gonna take some time for me to get used to trusting this vehicle. When I was driving it home, I kept getting nervous. For so long, I had driven a car that was unreliable. And so I am scared that any car is gonna shut off on me at any time. I know that is possible, but much less likely with my new-to-us vehicle. It will take some time, but I am really looking forward to being able to drive where ever I need to! Freedom!

3 comments:

BrightStar (B*) said...

Congratulations! Your car looks great. I am glad you are going to be much safer when you drive.

Anonymous said...

Congratulations on your pretty new car!

comebacknikki said...

Ugh. Your old car was scary!

I'm glad to hear you were able to work out getting a new car. That's awesome!