Thursday, September 01, 2005

what can you say?

Yes, I work for an insurance company. An auto insurance company.We insure more than 450,000 autos in the area effected by the hurricane.
I know that before I joked about it, but my criticism was more of the media coverage not the actual event. My company is scrambling to try to do the right thing for our customers. But we have no idea when these claims will ever be handled.
I know that most people watch the coverage on the news and it is devastating. But let me tell you, talking to the victims is 100 times worse. These people call to file the claim even though they have not seen their vehicles. They say things like, my home was destroyed and my car was in the garage so I know it is damaged even without seeing it. What do you say? We are all at a loss here. All I can say is you and your family take care. One lady said that she was staying at her aunt's house but does not know if she will be there tomorrow. She was so upset. All I could do was tell her to call us back if she goes somewhere else so that we know how to reach her. This is so bad. These poor people. They are calling them refugees on the news. At first I thought it was another over exaggeration from the media, but the more I think about it, that is what they are. I try to not dwell because if I do, I will cry. All I can do is be as nice to these people as possible and tell them we will help them as soon as we can.

No comments: