Sunday, September 25, 2005

for the sake of science

I have been keeping track of some of the "normal" things that happen when people call to file claims. I thought it would be interesting for people to see what I have to deal with on a daily basis and how frustrating this job can be. Plus, it's my attempt to prevent you from doing this when you call ANYWHERE. Because, trust me, this stuff does not just happen to insurance companies.

A little Insurance lingo lesson first:
An "insured" is a person my company insures
A "claimant" is a person involved in the accident that my company does not insure
And when it says "people" it means a combo of both claimants & insureds

Alright. Here we go.

Over the course of 2 days, when filing a claim...
28% of people did not have a pen or paper with them
6% of insureds did not have info on the claimant vehicle
10% of insureds did not have their policy # with them
10% of people did not know where the accident happened (either road name or city)
4% of people do not know their work address
10% of people had accents that I could not understand
1% of claimants do not know their own insurance company
1% of people do not know their own date of birth
1% of people do not know their own address

You might not believe some of this, but it's true. Funny, huh? All I can say is please have at least your own information with you when you call a company. And the not having pen and paper drives me nuts! What did you think you were doing when you called? Did you not call to file a CLAIM? Meaning that I would, at some point in the conversation, give you a CLAIM NUMBER that you probably should write down? Come on people.

No comments: