Monday, July 18, 2005

show review

I've been in a funk for the last few days. I am been thinking about blogging, but just haven't wanted to. Since Slurpees tend to make my sister happy, I stopped and got one on the way home today. Is it working? Not sure yet. But it is $1.50 worth of yumminess.
So why have I been in a funk? I fear going there. So I will not.
I am disappointed in myself for not blogging all about the concert. We went on Saturday night. Chris did not complain because he was asleep most of the time. No, I'm not kidding. He decided to get drunk (actually I suggested he do that so that he would be not so bitter) and it was kinda warm in the theater and so he kept falling asleep. I elbowed him all night. He was not all that drunk. He just had a few beers, but he was out of it.
Here's the set list:
Your House
You Learn
Not The Doctor
Perfect
Head Over Feet
A Man
Hand In My Pocket
Forgiven
So Pure
Mary Jane
Hands Clean
All I Really Want
Sister Blister
Right Through You
Wake Up
Encore One:
You Oughta Know
Everything
Encore Two:
Ironic

My review is as follows:
Location - Dodge Theater, Phoenix, AZ As you read above, it was warm inside. Every once and awhile a nice cool breeze would come by, but otherwise it was too warm inside for being so hot outside. The seats were a little narrow. I am not the largest (nor the smallest) person in the world, but the seats were a little too small. I am usually not nearly as uncomfortable as I was. After about 3 hours, it was digging so bad into my hip and I had to keep shifting. That brings me to my review of...
The crowd Why didn't they stand? What is wrong with you people? When we first sat down and were uncomfortable, I was comforted knowing that we would only be sitting for a little while. When Jason Mraz came out, no one stood. That's not unusual. Most people don't stand for opening acts. But when Alanis came out, no one stood up. Ok, not no one. There were a few randoms who would stand up every once and awhile. The reason they are called randoms is because no one else was standing. And since I am not a rude person, I only stand when the others around me do. During the last song of the first encore (Everything) people did stand and they all started to crowd the stage. It was really cool. Definitely the best part of the show. I cried a little. Then for the second encore (Ironic), most people stood up and then sat down again. At that point I just said - forget it, I am staying standing no matter what. Fools.
Jason Mraz He was way cute. He wore shorts and said that it was the first show that he's done wearing them. He also said that he hurt his arm a few days ago and so he had the other guitar player play alone for a few songs. I love You and I Both even more now after hearing it live. He dedicated it to Alanis and sung about how she should get rid of her bling (her engagement ring) and said that one day, he'll be an actor too (referring to the actor, Ryan Reynolds, who is Alanis's fiancee). It was way cute. I did not know many songs, because I am not a major fan. But I really enjoyed it. I very much liked that last song, I'm Yours. I will have to pick up the new album out July 26th.
I'm a ghetto blaster...
Alanis I have so much of my life wrapped up in her. That sounds weird. But many important times in my life have an Alanis reference. One that I will mention is that Supposed Former Infatuation Junkie (her 2nd album) came out on my 21st birthday. I don't know how much more I want to reveal because it's very emotional for me. But there was a reason that I fought so hard to go. And there are reasons that I had goose bumps and cried a couple of times. Lets just say that I have a strong emotional attachment to her and her music. Anyhoo. The show was unbelievable. Her voice is much more mature and so many of the songs seem to have a completely different meaning just because the way she sings them. The songs that were not from Jagged Little Pill were a nice selection. I am not a big fan of A Man but her explanation of the reason for writing it (what a man who has heard her songs might say back to her) gave me a whole new understanding. I love So Pure and I was groovin in my seat. I am glad we went and it really was worth it.
I found a review and it's funny that the reviewer said that her highlight of the show was the same as mine!
And here are two pics:



No comments: