Thursday, July 31, 2008

hotness concert mega post!

I have now seen John Mayer in concert 7 times. The last time was just over a year ago. At that concert, I was in the 2nd row. I loved every second of that. I even had "a moment" with him. Nothing can ever bet that show for me. But the show last night comes in 2nd for me. His set is so diverse now, because he has many more songs to chose from. The show goes from acoustic to blues to full rock band. So amazing. Ok, let me just get the superficial stuff out of the way. Like I said already, he was looking so freaking sexy. It about killed me. I honestly have no opinion on the new hair. He looked very tall. Which I know he is, but with no hair for some reason it was more obvious. And this was also the first time I have seen the new sleeve tattoo. When he first got it, it was all black and gray. Since then, he has slowed add more color. I didn't like it at first, but I really love it now. He has grown into such a man. I know that sounds strange. But years ago, he was such a cute boy. Now he is a cut, mature man. Love it.
Set list:
Bigger Than My Body
Something's Missing
I Don't Trust Myself (With Loving You)
Good Love is On the Way
Ain't Nobody's Bizness
Untitled into Free Falling
Belief
Stitched Up
No Such Thing
Waiting on the World to Change
Vultures
Say

Encore
Neon
Crossroads
Sweet Chad O'Mine
Gravity

So, here are some random things...
  • The show started a little rough. He did not sing the high parts in Bigger Than My Body. I could tell he was struggling with his voice. It sounded like he was not feeling well. It went on like that for the first couple songs. But by the end of the show, he was in full voice and singing all the high parts.
  • John and David Ryan Harris (vocals & guitar) played around the whole show. At one point, while they were playing, DRH came over and untied John's shoe. They also kept giving each other hi-fives. It was so funny. There was also someone holding a sign that John read on stage. It said: Lose the tall guy, DRH is the rock star.
  • John talked a lot. Sometimes he does, sometimes he doesn't. The funniest story was when he was talking about Vultures. He said that he had a whole other set of lyrics for that song before he changed them. He said that the chorus used to be "tiny bananas" instead of "down to the wire". It was hilarious.
  • It was the sound guy's (John's best friend, Chad Franscoviak) birthday. During the encore, John referred to him as the 9th member of the band and then sung Happy Birthday to him. He then sung Sweet Child O'Mine. He changed Child to Chad. He was singing all crazy like and dancing around. I recorded it. I'll be posting the video. It is the worst quality of all the videos I took. That is because I was freaking out! I was so excited and wanted to scream and dance, but I was trying to stay still for the video.
  • During the Neon, he sung a little bit of Please Don't Stop the Music by Rhianna. I was freaking out on the inside! I was recording then too. Why would I freak out you ask? Well... that song, at least for me, is all about American Idol. Not only did they perform in on Idol Gives Back, but it is the finale song on the tour. When my two worlds collide, it is too much to handle. The manpris he wore AND he sung PDSTM, total TMTH.
  • Being so far out on the lawn, my photos were not good. I tried to take pictures of the screen on the side of the stage, but I couldn't use my flash. That makes for blurry pictures. I took a ton, but only managed to have a few decent ones. You can see them here
  • Colbie Calliet opened the show and she was too cute. She told a cute story about Bubbly. She said that she was new at playing guitar and someone had tuned her guitar for her a little differently than normal and she did not know how to tune it back. She said that she just played around with the cords and came up with the song. She is so pretty and so gracious.
  • It was surprisingly not hot. Well, it was hot. But when we got there, 1/3 of the lawn was already in the shade and there was a slight breeze. We made the smart decision to sit in the shade. Sure, we were sweating, but it was not blazing heat that made you want to die. I was so thankful that it wasn't miserable.
    Ok, so that is all I can think of for now. Videos coming soon!!
    Here are some random pics that are clearly not mine:

    I am such a sucker for a guy with a guitar!
  • 2 comments:

    Anonymous said...

    Laura, that was great! I have got to go see him. I'm so glad got a chance to hear him again. What a fabulous night. Hope Jason never sees this. LOL

    Colleen

    Anonymous said...

    Laura! I am so so jealous. Can't wait to check out your vids!

    <3 Julie