Tuesday, May 22, 2007

answer: reading about death row inmates, that's how

question: How can you scare the crap out of yourself when you are home alone and not feeling well?

It's all about death row and the death penalty around here today. AZ executed their first death row inmate in 7 years, today at 10am. (read about it here.) After reading about that, I started getting sucked in and reading about the other 100 or so death row inmates we have. The newspaper website has a whole section about it. I got sucked in reading about the crimes. I didn't realize how badly I was freaking myself out until I started hearing sounds in the house. I was really just wind and stuff, but I started to get scared being here alone. I got off the computer, but was still really freaked out. I am better now. I watched some TV to distract myself. Watched some Little People, Big World and some DIY Scrapbooking. I am all better now. Meaning not so freaked out. But my headache (that I woke up with and kept me from work today) seems to finally be on its way out.

and now, a side comment on the death penalty... I am opposed to it, strongly. I am Catholic and part of our religion is to be against killing in any way. Abortion, death penalty and killing in general. I am not a "practicing Catholic," meaning I don't go to church every week. But this belief is one I still hold true. I am pro-life, but I am very understanding of the circumstances that would lead someone to have an abortion. As someone who is having difficultly conceiving, I cry at the thought of someone killing their unborn child, but I get why they consider it. But regarding the death penalty... It makes no sense to me. I understand that crime victims families feel like having the criminal put to death is justice. But how can you, in good conscience, wish death on another human being? To me, that would make you no different than the criminal. They didn't value the life of their victim and took that life. The death penalty is the same thing. Don't you believe that being in prison for the rest of their life is more punishment than death? I guess I have never been in the situation where I would have to make that decision and I hope I never will be, but I cannot support the death penalty. Not just because I am Catholic and supposed to be opposed to it, but because I really truly think killing a person for their actions is just as bad as the actions they committed in the first place. Ok, off the soap box...

No comments: