Wednesday, July 05, 2006

I think I might have decided to go on the cruise.

Mom - come down off the ceiling.

Here's the back story...
My mother decided that she wanted us to all go on a cruise together. Us being: her, my dad, me and my sister. Not that she didn't want Chris to come, but it was going to be just the four of us. Chris didn't mind at all. Especially because we really can't afford for both of us to go. Plus, we were going to go to Rome in April of next year anyway so we needed to save for that. Anyway. I would like to focus on the phrase 'was going to be just the four of us' Now, letting focus deeper on the word 'was'. What happened was, my dad was talking to his sister about our family cruise and she got the idea that she, my uncle and my grandma should go on a cruise and why not the same one? Why not? Um... BECAUSE! But did he tell her that it was supposed to be just the four of us? Nooooo. He even went so far as to give her the travel agents phone number and info. When I heard about this, I was livid. Livid, I tell you. I was so angry about this for weeks. I yelled and yelled at my mother for not stopping my father and not making him take it back. Now let me explain myself a little bit, because I sound like a brat. It's not that I don't want to see my aunt, uncle and grandma. They live far away in Missouri and I don't get to see them very often. Plus, my grandma is...well...not a spring chicken (see fact about me #62). But (she says in her best whiney voice) was going to be just the four of us. Not us, plus 3. And now it seems really strange that Chris isn't coming. I guess I just had this idea in my head of what the trip was going to be like and having other people there just make it completely different. As most people know, families have a unique connection and my immediate family is no different. We can be ourselves completely with each other. Throw random relatives in the mix and its totally different. I wanted the trip that we were going to take. Just us. But after all this went down, I decided that I didn't really want to spend money on a trip like what it has turned into. I told my sister that I wasn't sure if I was going to go and she said that if I wasn't going, neither was she. I also voiced my anger and concerns to my mother and told her that I was thinking, more like seriously considering, not going. Then, last week, the Rome trip fell thru. We were going to go with Chris's work people and were going to have a free place to stay. They have time share that can hold multiple couples. But the people who's time share it is changed their mind about where to go. They are now going to go to Figi. We don't care about Figi. We wanted to go to Rome because it's...well...Rome. So now I guess I still want to go on a vacation and by default it's the cruise. I guess I am also getting into it because I bought a new bathing suit. Super cute, right? So, for now I am going. This decision is subject to change. That's my disclaimer.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

All I can say is that you made your mother VERY HAPPY!!!!!

PS The bathing suit is real cute.

MOM

Anonymous said...

Hi LA,
I am very happy that you decided to go on the cruise. You will be glad you did. I am sorry that I made you so upset. I hope you will some day understand why I would like my Mom and family to go on a cruise with us. They have never been. It may be my Mom's last chance.
Love,
Dad

Laura Anne said...

I understand, Dad.
I just feel like you made the decision to invite them without consulting the rest of the people who were going on the trip. If I randomly invite people, would that upset you?
That's all. I want to see Grandma. I do. I just wish you thought about me and my sister's wishes before making the decision.

BrightStar (B*) said...

oh my word... family drama online for all to see... good times. :)

Beckette -- You better come on this cruise!

Let's randomly invite the boys (Chris and Sheepish) and see how Mom and Dad feel!

Actually, Sheepish can't come because of work, and since mom and dad aren't subsidizing trips for husbands, Chris prolly can't come, either, right?

I agree with this: "We can be ourselves completely with each other. Throw random relatives in the mix and its totally different."

I might still go if you don't go, though, but I think you should go. You and I can run away from all of the irritating mess and make fun of it. Also, we need to bring the dominoes.

p.s. I heart that swimsuit.