Sunday, January 29, 2006

something strange

I completely forgot until a few minutes ago that my first call of the day today was a fatality. I didn't really allow myself to deal with it, I guess, because I was just watching Grey's Anatomy and almost broke down. There was a woman on the show who died and at the same time there was a young girl who gave birth. The cliche of life and death that TV always does. But it brought out the feelings that I hadn't dealt with this morning. Each fatality is different. It's different because of who is calling to file the claim. Normally, its not too difficult to deal with because its someone more removed from the person. Today's call was the worse I've had since my first. It was the mother calling. On Thursday, her 22 year old daughter slid on an icy road, lost control of her car, flipped it and ended up upside down in a creek. That brave woman only broke down twice. I was at a complete loss. All I could say was that I was so sorry for her loss. I had to file the claim and wanted to make it as painless as possible. I didn't ask all the details that I would normally ask. I am really surprised that I blocked it out all day and was able to go on with my day. It makes me wonder what kind of person I am. I thought I was a caring person, but I forget? What is wrong with me?

No comments: