Monday, April 04, 2005

a life less ordinary

Watching the Cameron Diaz's show, Trippin, the other night reminded me of the movie, A Life Less Ordinary. I love that movie. Although the movie has nothing to do with what is happening in my life right now, I think the phrase itself certainly applies. Life seems to be so chaotic, but I am getting used it. I am not a fan of the craziness, but I am slowly trying to catch up with my own life. I am way outside of my "norm" but when I look around, I am really not lacking what I normally have. This might not make sense. I don't think I'm explaining it right, but whatever. Anyway. Blah Blah Blah.
I am bummed that we have so much to do at the house this weekend, because the Phoenix Film Festival is this weekend I would really like to go. This year looks interesting. They are doing a tribute to Kevin Bacon. Who wouldn't want to see that? Plus, they are showing a movie called, Happy Endings with Maggie Gyllenhaal and Lisa Kudrow, that looks decent. I would just want to go mainly because I've never been. And also because it is close to our apartment. Next year it will seem really far from home and out of the way to go. Whatever.
house junk...
Chris spent all weekend prepping the house for paint and painting our bedroom. I had picked this Ralph Lauren paint in a suede texture that looked neat. He bought the paint and when he read the directions and realized he needed twice as much paint that you would normally need. It takes one coat primer and one coat of the paint rolled on and then a second coat of paint brushed on by hand in an X pattern. That gives it the suede look. It took him a long time. He's quite a trooper. He finished the bedroom last night around 9pm and it looks AWESOME! He did such a good job on it. I feel bad that I picked it out without realizing how difficult it would be. But being the former pro-painter that he is, he managed. We (who am I kidding, he's the one painting!) have the rest of the house to still paint, but he is glad that it's just "regular" painting. We are going to do a Mondrian design wall on one of the walls in the computer room. At first we were going to do the whole room that way, but then decided it would be too much. So, we are going to do the wall with the window that you first see when you walk in the room. It will look neat. We went back and forth with ideas of what to do in that room. We wanted to do something different and cool and that's what we finally agreed upon. We (again, lying!) are painting all the other rooms too. (so no, we are not just focusing on the computer room! *wink*wink*) While Chris was painting, I started working on the kitchen cabinets. Those things are so nasty. I can't believe that someone would wash dishes and put them into those drawers and cabinets. I guess you just get used to the filth and don't notice it. I just can't imagine that, though. There was contact paper in the drawers and cabinets with orange and yellow mushrooms on it that probably hasn't even been produced in the last 30 years. It was so old and nasty. I still feel gross after pulling it all off. Plus, some of it was so attached that it pulled off pieces of the wood. The cabinets look like a home made job. The dude that owned our house was a real "do it yourselfer" and installed all sorts of junk by himself. And these cabinets look like that. They are not really even finished. I started to wipe them down and remove 40 years worth of junk and they are basically raw wood. Lovely. We are planning on painting them and it looks like that needs to happen sooner rather than later. I am going to put down some self adhesive tile on the shelves and drawers just so that we can use them. It will be better than contact paper. Contact paper, as far as I'm concerned is useless. I hate it. As much as I love this house, the more I am in it, I wonder why we didn't just get a new house. I think it needs so much cleaning that I don't know what to do. Maybe I am nuts about cleanliness, by I am (hoping, praying) planning on bringing a child into this house and I would like for it to be as safe and sanitary as possible. There is no way that I would bring a child in the way that it is now. I know that once I am finished giving it the cleaning that I want (and plan) to, it will be ok. But until then, I am grossed out by my own home. Actually, I am grossed out by both places I live. My apartment is driving me nuts because it is in a strange place of packed and not packed. Too many packed boxes to function and not enough packed to make me feel ready to move. I have issues. I am also really not wanting to be at work. I just feel like I have so much to do and work gets in the way. I have to keep telling myself that work makes me able to do these things. But that doesn't seem to help. And then talking to half of my family while they are in Disneyland and I am up to my elbows in nasty contact paper doesn't help. Yes, I am glad they had fun. But damn. I am working my ass off and they are at the happiest place on earth. So yes, I am jealous dammit. Can you blame me? Then I get told things like, "If I wasn't going on this trip, I would help you..." And what am I supposed to do with that information? I know it's supposed to be the thought that counts, but when I am so overwhelmed by all this, I do need the help. I'll stop now. I will try not the hold a grudge, but if you know me at all, you will not believe me when I say that. But I love you still...

No comments: