Wednesday, April 20, 2005

I have never felt so white in my whole life

Now for those who don't understand, we moved to South Phoenix. South Phoenix is a mainly Hispanic area of town. Now, I am used to mixed neighborhoods and different cultures, but I am still a (REALLY) white girl no matter where I live. Ghetto or barrio. And after last night, there is no denying that. I went to the Kmart across the street from our house and I literally was the only white person in the store. I am not exaggerating. Believe me, if I saw another white person, I would mention it. I just felt like a freak. I was getting all sorts of strange looks. I wasn't acting differently or anything, but I felt very uncomfortable. It's strange to be on the flip side of that. I am sure that is how minorities (for lack of a better word that would sum it up) feel on a regular basis. I feel very comfortable in our neighborhood, despite the strange looks we get, but last night was the first time I've ever experienced something like that.

No comments: