Friday, March 19, 2010

my stupid mouth

Yesterday, I got a retainer for my lower teeth. For months now, I have been wearing a night guard on my upper teeth because I grind them. Since then, my front lower teeth have become what they call "mobile." They are loose. Like, I can move them with my tongue. The dentist said that the retainer will help stabilize my loose teeth when i am grinding at night. I sure as hell hope so. Last thing I need is for my damn teeth to fall out. So now I have to sleep with both. Lovely. Chris told me this morning that now I squeak. Its the two plastics rubbing against each other now. He has told me before that he can hear me grinding, so now it squeaks. Lovely. There is nothing I can do about it. I have to wear them or my teeth will fall out.
At the dentist I showed him how I have been sleeping with my night guard and it all clicked. I figured out why my teeth had gotten loose. I have jutting out my lower jaw and resting the night guard behind my front teeth. Then I was pushing forward on those teeth with the hard, acrylic night guard. How could they not have gotten loose? The dentist also said that looking at my night guard he could tell that I grind my teeth back and forth, not side to side. All this makes total sense. He said that if the retainer does not stop me from putting my night guard behind my teeth, he will make me a new night guard that has a piece that sticks out the front, so that wouldn't be possible. I hate all this. I just hope something works.

No comments: