Friday, February 24, 2006

blogging the RENT DVD

It came today!

4:40pm
Just started watching the deleted scenes. I am watching them without commentary and then in a minute I will watch with commentary so that I can get an explanation why they were deleted. It looks like they performed almost all the songs. Damn. crying. sobbing is more like it.

4:49pm
Watching them with commentary. It's with the director, Anthony Rapp & Adam Pascal. The director thought Halloween didn't fit in with the flow of the film. The director thought that, again, Goodbye Love didn't fit in with the pacing of the film. He said he thought it was too much emotion for the audience. How odd that these two crucial songs were major character development for the character of Mark. And that is what I was thought was really lacking in the movie. Too bad they made that decision. There was an alternate ending! The director said that using the alternate ending (which is the ending of the broadway show)in the movie would have made it seem too much like a dream and would have taken away from the emotion of the final scene. Horse shit. I was just crying like a baby from just that deleted scene alone. I am sad that they made the movie for the "film audience" instead of for RENT heads. I wish they had included a version of the movie with the deleted scenes put back in. There were explanations, but not enough to satisfy me.

5:01pm
Interrupted by mom calling.

5:13pm
Ok. Now I'm gonna watch the documentary called No Day But Today the story or RENT. This is awesome. It's the whole story of Jonathan Larson and how RENT came to be. I am so happy.

No comments: