Monday, November 23, 2009

venting

Tonight, after Adam Lambert's performance on the American Music Awards, there was some upheaval online, especially twitter. I have lot more feeling about the subject than I cannot express in 140 characters. My opinion on the performance... dumb, desperate and not good at all. What wasn't good was the singing. His wailing is something I could never get into while he was Idol. He has a great voice, but its not really as rocker as he thinks it is. I heard some of his performances when he was in Wicked and that is what he needs to be doing. When he screeches, it ruins the whole song. The dumb part was him acting like he is this huge superstar already. He thinks he is this rock god. I hate to break it to him, but he was only on Idol. He's not even in the same vain as anyone I would consider a rock star. What was desperate was him grinding all over the dancers and having them crawl over him. Now, I can get into artistic performances, Lady Gaga, but until you have have had a number one hit or even an album in the stores, show the audience your talent, not how you can run around a stage and stick your face in people's crotches. Desperate for attention. That's what that was.
Now the issue that arose on twitter was that many people were saying that the performance was gross and disgusting. People have the right to their opinion, even if they don't phrase that opinion in the most appropriate ways. Seems ridiculous to start attacking those that disagree with you. Do you really think you will change their mind? Its a waste of your time and will only upset yourself when they don't suddenly agree with you. Not worth it. But something worse happened while people were disagreeing about the performance. Some people started accusing others of being homophobic, because they said the performance was disgusting. I get very confused how the leaps are made. Seriously. If I said Jennifer Lopez's performance sucked, could I then be accused of being racist again Puerto Ricans? Just because a person says that Adam's grinding was disgusting does not necessarily have any thing to do with him being gay. I am sure that, for some people, it does. But for the majority of people, including me, his sexuality had nothing to do with it. Why this leap? I still can't wrap my brain around it. Also, that is a lot of pressure to put on Adam. He is just doing his thing and if people expect him to allows represent the entire gay community, people will be disappointed. Its not fair to him. So people, please. I hated Carrie Underwood's outfit, but that does not mean I have issues with blonde girls from Oklahoma.

Relax. Its just entertainment. Not everyone likes the same things. Good thing there are lots of options.

3 comments:

Cindy Alldredge said...

Very well worded, Laura.
You have a nice way with words too.
I absolutely love Adam's voice but didn't even notice it tonight and we got the edited version of the performance.
I too would have loved to have heard him sing the song and not do so much of the OTT stuff.
I think it would have sold more albums but maybe his way will work for him too. -cba

BrightStar (B*) said...

I just watched the performance online. The trashiness had nothing to do with homosexuality. I thought the performance was purposefully bisexual -- there was grinding up on both men and women & actions suggestive of oral sex with both men and women. He was pretty clearly equal opportunity in the performance. For me, the issue was that it was not necessary. He could have performed that song without the raunchiness. He doesn't need to be like that.

It's like he had a statement to make, like -- NOW I can finally be who I really am, and this is who I am, so deal with it, bitches. So, on that level, good for him. But that's not what endeared him to the masses. They want what they saw from Idol. He let them know for sure that they're not going to get it. I applaud him for being himself, but I fear that he's going to lose fans. Being overly sensational to get attention is one thing, but this went way beyond that line and more into the "take me or leave me" category.

I think some people from his Idol fan base will leave him now, but maybe he doesn't mind that. He probably gained some new fans, too. (And he is a true professional to recover so impressively from that fall, by the way.)

No matter what people think about the performance, Adam is massively talented. Plus, he's clearly fearless. That kicks ass. It's not really my thing, but I respect it. And? People are talking about it still, so he wins on that front.

Lisabeth said...

I don't think you're homophobic if you didn't like it, Laura. I don't know that he needed to do all that he did because I think he's amazing as he is, but that's Adam and he likes to push the envelope and get people talking. He was interpreting the song in a very sexual way and I honestly don't think it was too far off something Madonna would have done with the same song/lyrics. I think if you had seen him live in concert over the summer that you would have loved him, though.