Wednesday, February 04, 2009

devastation

It's taken me this long to feel like talking about it. When the Cardinals lost the Super Bowl, I was completely crushed. Wait, let me go back a little. During the game, I was on an emotional roller coaster. The worst was actually when they took the lead in the 4th quarter. I burst into tears, got up and ran and hid in the hallway. I kept asking Chris if it had really happened. He had to remind me to breathe. I cried thru a lot of the game. I was a wreck. When the game ended, I didn't cry. I was in shock. Some people thought I was crazy for being so emotionally involved. It's very hard for me to explain. I just love football and as I've said, been a Cardinals fan for so long. I was so proud and yet so sad. Then I got angry. I would go thru the game in my mind and saying, "Why didn't they do this and that."
Why did they try to run the ball in the first half against the best defense in the NFL?
Why did they not get into their passing game until the 4th quarter?
Where the hell was the defense other than near the end zone?
They killed themselves with all the damn penalties.
I really wish I could say that they did their best, but lost. But they didn't and that makes it very hard to swallow.
I will always will be a proud Cardinals fan. I just hate that they made it all the way to the Super Bowl and people still think it was fluke. Like they got lucky or something, instead of them being a good team. All they can do now is keep this team together and prove the skeptics wrong next year.
I am mostly ok now. This was just 20 years in the making for me and it was not the outcome I was hoping for.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

But even so, just to GET to the Super Bowl is an amazing accomplishment for a team that's been so downtrodden for so many years. And they showed so much heart - never gave up. No, they weren't perfect, but they had some brilliant moments in that game! I think they definitely gave the community something to be proud of. And yay for Larry Fitzgerald getting the Pro Bowl MVP! :)