Tuesday, February 08, 2005

my boy speaks

Thought that I would share his column from Esquire this month:

Music Lessons
THIS MONTH'S LESSON: Five More Songs of the Year

by John Mayer | Mar 01 '05

I was stunned to learn that I was nominated for Song of the Year at this year's Grammys for my tune "Daughters." There's so much great music out right now. So I've decided to sublet my nomination to five equally deserving songs.

"Float On," Modest Mouse
When I first heard this tune, I thought Mick Jagger had gotten together with Dexy's Midnight Runners. That would've been cool, but no cooler than this perfect little number. This is the kind of song you listen to when you lay out tomorrow's outfit just before bedtime, thinking, Being me is about to get awesome. Too-rye-ay!

"This Love," Maroon 5
I'm surprised this song didn't get nominated, being that it was one of about seven on the radio that actually had a chorus, let alone one strong enough to hold its own next to any song from the last ten years. You might think it's overplayed, but this one is a half-court shot, nothing but net.

"99 Problems," Jay-Z
When Jay-Z came up with the lyric "I got 99 problems, but a bitch ain't one," he probably celebrated at Friday's over an Oreo Madness dessert. Oh, wait, that's what I do. But consider this: Jay is the only mainstream artist brave enough to release a capella versions of his music. The man is not only one of the greatest rappers ever, he shows his work on the back of the test.

"I Don't Wanna Be," Gavin DeGraw
The problem with having Gavin DeGraw shoved down our throats is that he's so good, he didn't have to be. Once you get over the shooting pain of a twisted arm, you realize that this is one badass song with a unique chorus and a nuts-out vocal performance. It's never come on the radio when I didn't want it.

"I Just Don't Think I'll Ever Get Over You," Colin Hay
This is without a doubt my favorite song of the year. I'm still trying for a tune like this of my own. It's my favorite kind of ballad, "chin up" sadness that even a cold bastard would get swept away by: "And if I lived till I could no longer climb my stairs/I just don't think I'll ever get over you." No further comments.

No comments: