Wednesday, October 12, 2005

my week in hell

It's finally 4 days removed and I think I can start to process it and talk about it. As I mentioned before, I was asked to become cross-trained in the glass department and I went through training for it last week. It was my week in hell. To sum it up, we were trained on 6 weeks worth of material in 5 days. We would discuss a topic, then the trainer would say, "That was 4 hours worth of training in 15 minutes." It was so stressful that more than one day after work, I felt like throwing up. I have finally put it all together. The people that care about doing a good job are the ones that were overwhelmed. It was one of the worst experiences I have ever been through in a work environment. And that says a lot, because I have had some shitty jobs. What bothers me more than anything is that when I was first asked to volunteer for this, the thought that went thru my head was "They won't put us through this if they don't think its possible and the right thing to do." And my doubt was accurate. I hate that. They screwed us and knew it. I don't like the direction that this is taking my job. They all knew it was wrong and it would be chaos, but they did it anyway. Now you want me to do the right thing, when you didn't for me? No way. I felt very taken advantage of. But I can be the better person. I can take the hit. I was stressed beyond belief. Last Saturday night, I slept for about 45 minutes. I have been having trouble sleeping for the last week or so. It's not that I don't think I can do this new job, but I just hate that I was pushed thru and not trained and forced to do a job that I am not prepared to do. This is not the kind of job that you can learn "on the job". That means I have to figure out what I'm doing with the person on the phone. "Please hold" has become my new favorite phrase. I am slowly learning and feel more comfortable with it. But we are not taking all the kinds of calls that we will have to, yet. They are adding them in slowly. At least I know now that I do not want to do this job forever. There is going to be that option to become one permanently, but I want my old job back. I am better now and I can deal, but it was so bad that I couldn't even really talk about it.

No comments: