Thursday, April 19, 2012

American Idol S.11 - Top 7 part deux

alright Idol. Lets do this. 7 people left... still.
I was clearly wrong with my prediction last week. Or was I? You never know what Nigel has up his sleeve. I have learned that you can never trust the "voting" on these shows. Last week's outcome sure made for drama and good TV, didn't it? convenient.

theme: something stupid with #1 songs and soul songs

Hollie Cavanagh - Rolling In The Deep by Adele: Please don't really sing this. This the song that everyone thinks they can sing, because they sound so great when the sing it in the shower. Please add Adele to the list of artists NOT to sing. She did not "make it her own." I have to say that it was a decent copy of the original. Saying that is not saying much.

Colton Dixon - Bad Romance by Lady Gaga: All family band on stage. That's the best part of this. He's gotten over confident. Or should I say, cocky. I dislike this arrangement.

Elise Testone - No One by Alicia Keys: I really like the low part of her voice.
Wind machine was out of control!! She looked sorta like Mariah Carey during this performance. This is not her style. She sung it great, but she should have done it in her own fashion style.

Phillip Phillips - You Got It Bad by Usher: friggin awesome. I was gonna say "fuckin," but my mom hates when I cuss.

Jessica Sanchez - Fallin by Alicia Keyes: Seriously? Two Alicia Keyes songs in one night? Whatever.

Skylar Laine - Born This Way by Lady Gaga: More friggin Gaga? This is out of control. But hot damn, this was cool. I said it last week, but I think she should win this thing. Psst. Nigel, if you want a commercial success from your winner, make it her.

Joshua Ledet - I Believe by Fantasia: This is the first time (I think) that a former winner's anthem was sung on the show. Interesting. This is was not his best. It would be good on his album, for variety, but its too dramatic for a performance on the show. Unless you are the winner... of course.

Hollie Cavanagh - Son of a Preacher Man by (insert artist here, but it was the Aretha version): Eh.

Colton Dixon - September by Earth Wind and Fire: Now this version I like. Not necessarily his voice. He was off and a bit nasaly. This had potential. Also, this is the artist he should stick with being. He even said it himself after the first performance. When he tries to rock out, it looks fake.

Elise Testone - Let's Get It On by Marvin Gaye: On a couch? Really? This is not her. My crit for this one is the same as the last. Get back to being yourself. You are getting lost. You are what the fans like, not this person who wears sheer clothing and sings on a couch. Its these choices, not her voice, that is gonna get her kicked off soon.

Phillip Phillips - In the Midnight Hour by Wilson Pickett: Forced. Inauthentic. Bathroom break song.

Jessica Sanchez - Try A Little Tenderless by Otis Redding: soooooooooo boring. I thought, with the slow beginng, that the song was gonna open up and be crazy. It got there, but not at the right moment. It was fail.

Skylar Laine - Heard It Through the Grapevine by (insert artist here): Good, but boring too.

Joshua Ledet - A Change Is Gonna Come by Sam Cooke: Exact same crit as Skylar. see above.


bottom 3: Elise, Hollie, Joshua

p.s. to the judges: People are in the bottom 3, because you have a bottom 3. There's only a few people left, so someone decent is bound to be there. duh.

1 comment:

Cindy Alldredge said...

My husband has always said that Elise looks like Mariah. I think it's the cheeks/cheekbones. They all can sing but for some unreasonable reason Colton is most appealing to me. He does need to watch his ego though...
Skylar is the one most likely to do well after Idol, I think. She and Colton have matching red hair streaks... I am so not-a-Fantasia fan so that probably colors my thoughts about Joshua.