Wednesday, March 28, 2012

American Idol S.11 - Top 9

So last week was a total fail. I didn't watch either episode. I didn't care. I'm not sure I care this week either, but here we go...

theme: Idols perform their idols

Colton Dixon - Everything by Lifehouse: damn. seriously. Why are all the cute Idol boys all churchy? WTF. Now all the churchy frau will latch on to him. *eye roll* This was just ok. The beginning was weak, but it ended well.

Skylar Laine - Gunpowder and Lead by Miranda Lambert: I think its interesting that there was no mention of how Miranda Lambert started her career. That is really what these contestants want to aspire to. No mention of starting on a reality show. Anyway, this performance was great. She is always on it. Oh and singing with Stevie Nicks... HOLY SHIT!!

trio #1 Colton, Phillip, Elise: First off, why are they doing this? And why are they medleys? Can't they do this on results night? But regardless... Elise was really great. Phillip is still cute.

Heejun Han - A Song For You by Donny Hathaway: This is actually the first time I have liked a performance of his based on the singing itself. Right in his "wheel house."

Hollie Cavanagh - Jesus Take the Wheel by Carrie Underwood: It was nice.

How long has Steven's mic been wrapped in scarves? LOL

Deandre Brackensick - Sometimes I Cry by Eric Benet: The transition up to falsetto that I was having a problem with before, seem to be corrected today. This was actually the first time I've like a performance of his. What is up with me? Maybe I am just not in a snarky mood. That must be it.

Jessica Sanchez - Sweet Dreams by Beyonce: Highly disappointed that she did not sing Single Ladies. Are those the red doors from So You Think You Can Dance?

trio #2 Deandre, Heejun, Joshua: These trio's kinda made sense when they were Fleetwood Mac songs, now they are just dumb. Ok. Ok. I can't lie. That was sorta cute.

Phillip Phillips - Look Out My Window by Jonny Lang: woop woop

Joshua Ledet - Without You by (insert artist here): I like his jacket. No. Seriously. He was great.

trio #3 Hollie, Skylar, Jessica: I am sorry, but I really don't like Jessica's voice. This was the worst of all the trio's. They just don't mesh well.

Elise Teston - Whole Lotta Love by Led Zepplin: awesomesauce. Best performance of the night. And more singing with Stevie Nicks!!

I think this needs mentioning... These are songs they got to pick from their favorite artists. That leads one to believe that they have sung these songs at some point in the past. Elise said she did it with her band. Skylar said she sung her song all the time. I am sure there are similar stories with the rest. I feel this explains why the performances were so strong tonight. Typically, they have to learn a song in a few days that they may have never heard before. So knowing the songs clearly helps. I am not sure if I feel that they should always be able to sing a song they know OR that there is more challenge in the competition if they have to learn a new song. Either way, they have made it hard for me to pick a bottom 3.

bottom 3: Hollie, Deandre, Joshua

No comments: