Wednesday, March 11, 2009

taxes

I finally got our 2008 taxes finished. It was a struggle because I never received my W2 in the mail from my old job. That is because I had signed up to receive it via a website instead of mail. Crappy thing was, I didn't know what the website was anymore. I had also deleted the HR phone number from my phone. So, I finally tracked down the number (its not widely given out the general public, since most of the non-employee communication is done via the website... anyway) and called. I got the website and managed to print my W2. This was yesterday. Last night I told myself that I would do the taxes today (and by today, I mean Tuesday). However, I slept pretty late into the afternoon and decided to do them another day. Then, I got mad at myself for putting them off again and just jumped in and started them. I use taxslayer.com to do mine. I have used them for 7 years now and really like it. Its all online and you don't have to download anything. It costs $9.95 and that includes e-filing for federal and state. I have never had a problem with them at all. So... I started them around 6pm and just finished about an hour ago. 5 hours. Not bad. What took the longest is that this year I had lots of medical expenses. In the past years, I hardly had any at all. So I had to figure all that out and I was not organized at all. I learned my lesson and I am gonna start keeping better records for 2009. But I did manage to find everything I needed. We are getting refunds from both state and federal. I haven't e-filed them yet, because I want to show them to Chris before I do. I am sure that will happen tomorrow. It is a huge relief to have them done, especially because we could use that money!

1 comment:

BrightStar (B*) said...

Oh, now I understand why you were dragging your feet on this... pain in the butt and emotionally rough to track down your W-2. Makes sense.

I didn't know about taxslayer! I pay more than that for turbo tax.