Thursday, April 01, 2010

peter pan complex

I will be the first to admit that I am immature. But its more than that. I am just a silly, fun person who is a total spaz. I am not a child, but I don't think that being an adult means you have to take everything seriously and be cranky all the time. I also have the blessing (or curse, however you choose to look at it) of looking younger than I am. I can't figure out if i look younger or that i act younger or maybe both. This whole situation usually does not bother me. But there were 2 independent situations that made me feel insecure about it. I was teasing a friend on twitter about being a cougar and she responded by saying, "This from the grown woman with Mickey Mouse ears on her head." My twitter pic is the same one I have on here. She was kidding, but only kinda. I actually really like that picture of myself. I know its a little childish to have the ears on, but both my sister and I bought the same ones and were having fun wearing them around Disneyland. I took that picture of myself at our hotel. So, I like it. But I get that it makes me look young.  So, I am not doing much to dispel people's beliefs about me. The second incident was me freaking out about my new haircut. I love it... I think. It makes me look older, which is a good thing? I don't know. So I was calling it an old lady hairdo and Chris said, "You are 32 something years old. You do not need a 19 year-old hair cut." Ok. Fine. But do I need a 32 year old hair cut? I don't want to age, because I fear what that means. So I guess anything that makes me look older, scares me. A friend told me that I was confusing growing old with growing up. I get that. It is hard for me to make that distinction. I think the point I am trying to make is that I am afraid of aging, so I refuse to grow up. I think they call that denial. Shit. I started writing this to defend myself and I have gotten to the point were I realized that I am wrong. I think that it is possible to stay young at heart, be silly and have fun. But I don't have to encourage people to think I am younger than I am. I think that means I need a new profile picture. I guess that will be my mission. At least if I get a new picture, people will stop giving me shit about it.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Really like your new profile picture. Your hair looks great. By the way, it wouldn't take much to make you look older than the picture with the Mickey ears.

MOM